There are several bible verses that talks about faith, and on this post we will try as much as possible to outline and explain them for a better understanding.
Conventional idea about faith.
There is no denying of the fact that Christians think faith is as simple as just having an high expectation of the answer to a prayer, or rather to receive what they’ve been asking from God.
But it’s sad that often, this expectations never become a reality, or say come to manifestation.
And when that occurs it threatens that steadfastness with God.
So before we outline and explain those bible verses about faith, let us first and foremost get to see the definition of faith, both in the holy bible and dictionary.
Definition of faith.
The only scripture that seems to give a straight forward definition of faith in the bible is Hebrews 11:1, and it says: “faith is the substance of things hope for, the evidence of things not seen.
But considering the fact we often hope for things that we never get to see, I seem to agree with the definition in Romans 10:13 that “faith comes from hearing the word of God”.
And if we link that to James 1:22, we will discover that it is not only by hearing but also practicing the word of God.
What is faith according to the dictionary.
The oxfore dictionary gives two definitions for faith and they are:
- That faith is a complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
- Faith is a strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
From the second definition we see above, that is from the dictionary, we realize that faith does not require any proof, all you need to do is believe your expectations are going to manifest.
The importance of faith to Christians.
The scripture says that Abraham believed in God and it was accounted to him for righteousness. (Genesis 15:6).
And from this understanding, we can discover that faith is needed so much by Christians if they want to attain righteousness.
Studying the case of Abraham will help us to agree that faith comes by hearing the word of God because Abraham was always fond of obeying any instructions that was given to him by God.
Even to the point of accepting to sacrifice the only son that was given to him as an heir at old age. (Genesis 22:1-19).
Therefore, Christians should obey the word of God and that will give them the faith to attain righteousness.
Because it is only by becoming righteous can humans obtain anything they ask or expect from God; as the scripture above states:
“For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” (1 Peter 3:12).
The obstacles to faith.
Before we move on to see the bible verses about faith, let us quickly see the obstacles to faith.
In Mathew 8:23-26, Jesus was sleeping in the boat when the tempest occured, and after His disciples woke him to calm the storm, He said to them “why are you fearful, O, ye of little faith”?. So from this scripture we understand fear as one of the obstacles to faith.
Peter clearly points out doubt as an obstacle to fear in the scripture below:
But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man that suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double minded, unstable in all his ways.James 1:6-7.
Bible verses about faith.
1. Bible verses that helps to define faith.
Below are the bible verses that shows the need to have faith.
1. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
This is the bible portion where every Christian is using to define faith according to the bible.
2. So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17
This is the scripture that helps us to understand how we can obtain faith from God.
I personally use it to define faith according to the bible.
It’s conclusive part is James 1:22 which says that we should not only be hearers of the word but those who practice it, else we will be deceiving ourselves.
2. Bible verses about the importance of faith.
Below are the bible verses that shows us the importance of faith.
1. Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”John 8:24.
Here is our Lord Jesus revealing to us that those who do ot have faith in Him will die in their sins.
This is because, they will not hearken to His words that admonishes us to turn away from our sins.
2. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?1 John 5:5.
According to the above scripture, those who have faith in Jesus will be able to overcome the world.
Overcoming the world here means that they will be able to depart from the lusts and desires of the world.
3. That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.Romans 10:9.
In the above scripture, those who are living in the faith that Jesus died and was ressurected will attain salvation.
We can here see that faith is very important for salvation.
4. For we walk by faith, not by sight.2 Corinthians 5:7.
The apostle Paul tries to enlighten us on the fact that fear requires no proof. If what you are expected is within human reach, then it is no longer faith.
5. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.Hebrews 11:6.
It is faith that will draw anyone to God and make them to obey Him and in so doing expect the promises that comes with it.
Because whoever will come to God must believe that He will reward him for everything he does. And it is in doing those things that we will be able to do what pleases God according to the bible.
The most important point to note here is that you will never be able to see God, that is physically.
But if you want to please Him, you must aim to carry out all the instructions you see in His words.
6. Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.Galatians 2:16.
Faith is what we need if we want to escape being judged by the law.
This is because the faith in Christ Jesus will not allow us to do those things that goes contrary to the law.
Consequently, doing those things that might make the police to be against us, and lock us up in the cell.
7. that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.1 Corinthians 2:5.
Making the wisdom of men our basics can be interpreted as putting out trust in humans who are likely to fail us.
In Jeremiah 17:5, the bible even curses those who put their trust in men and not in the power of God.
The power of God means that God is able to do all things.
8. And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”Mathew 21:22.
Another importance of faith is that it helps us to receive the answer to our prayers.
9. Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.Romans 5:1-2.
It is only faith that will help us to triumph in all our troubles as the scripture above shows us.
After doing so we will be able to rejoice in the grace that we received from Christ through the faith in Him.
10. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”Romans 1:17.
Faith is the prerequisite to righteousness, and it comes through how you are able ro obey the words of God.
Remember, Abraham believed in God and his faith was counted to Him as righteousness.
3. Bible verses about obstacles to faith.
1. As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, He said to the ruler of the synagogue, “Do not be afraid; only believe.”Mark 5:36.
In the above scripture, Jesus tries to show us that fear is an obstacle to faith, that is to say, those who are afraid will not be able to believe in Him.
2. So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.Mark 11:22-24.
Here jesus reveals doubt as one of the obstacles to faith.
That is to say, if we are asking God for something, we should not have two mindsets: that is whether He will give it to us or not.
If we do this, we are trying to doubt His power to provide for us humans.
3. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.James 1:5-6.
Again we see doubt here as one of the obstacles to faith.
Because when you ask God for wisdom, which you cannot see with your naked eyes; you must believe that God will give it to you sas He gave to Solomon.
4. Bible verses about faith when it seems hard to belive in God.
1. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,1 Peter 1:6-7.
The trials we face in life are there to test our faith, and if we are able to overcome them, we will receive an awesome reward from God.
2. For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.Romans 12:3.
We must gain humility through faith if we want to receive the reward from God.
Bible verse about putting your faith into action.
1. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.2 Timothy 4:7.
According to Saint Paul, he worked very hard to perfect his faith before it was time for him to depart from the world.
2. remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father,1 Thessalonians 1:3.
We should not cease our work of faith if we want to be rewarded by God.
All the bible verses about faith here will help you in any kind of situation, especially when it seems you are overcome by fear and doubt which are the obstacles to faith.